A prenatal massage is a massage that occurs during a woman's pregnancy that is specifically designed around the special needs of a pregnant woman. Pregnancy is not comfortable, and can lead to many aches and pains, especially in your back. A massage of any kind can be intimidating, especially if you have never had one before. A prenatal massage is unique in many ways and even women experienced with massages may have some awkward moments.
What to Expect at Your Prenatal Massage
- First, you will fill out some paperwork about your medical history, your pregnancy so far and about the areas that you are experiencing pain. Your massage therapist will review that information prior to your massage so that he or she can cater to your specific needs.
- Your massage therapist will take you back to your room, which will have soft lighting and relaxing music playing. They will go over what will occur during the massage and what type of massage technique they will use. Most will not perform deep tissue massage on a pregnant woman, but may go with some type of Swedish massage. The therapist will also tell you how to position yourself, what to wear and how to cover up.
- If you are in the 2nd or 3rd trimester, you will be unable to lie prone on a regular massage table. There will either be a special massage table that accommodates your belly or a body pillow for you to snuggle up with on your side.
- Your therapist will step out of the room so that you can undress and get situated privately. Everyone has their personal preferences on how much to take off. Removing your bra is recommended so they have the best access to your back, but leaving your panties on is helpful because it gives them a point to tuck the sheet into. Don't forget to take your socks off because they will also spend some time working on your feet!
- Some massage tables are heated. You don't want to get too warm during pregnancy, but the table may be turned on low heat for your comfort. Get comfortable and relax. Most of your body will be covered with the sheet. The only exposed part will be the body part they are working on.
- Your massage therapist will typically start at your back and work their way down. The majority of focus will be on your back, and they will put emphasis on the specific parts you mentioned are the most painful to you.
- If you are on your side, they will instruct you on how to rotate to your other side when it is time. Depending on where you are in your pregnancy, this action might be awkward. The use of the body pillow and the sheets make it easier to make this movement swiftly and easily.
- After the massage is over, your therapist will leave the room so that you can get dressed. You will be left feeling relaxed and energized.
Prenatal massage will likely leave you with many benefits. They are known to reduce anxiety and stress, relieve muscle tension and relieve joint pain. They allow you to relax. A prenatal massage will reduce swelling, alleviate headaches and flush out toxins. They can even help prepare for delivery. Don't allow a prenatal massage to intimidate you. The end result is well worth it. Contact a company like The Chicago FIX for more information.